Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Farming: Some Patience Required

Behold this year's plot plan, which has changed and evolved at least 10 times already. It looks plenty organized on paper (or on screen, in this case) and sure, there are some neat rows and mounds going but my mind's rigid plan has long since dissolved. Add to that the persistent rains (more last night) and the required drying-out period, and the result is, I'm only half planted.

Oi.
Comparatively, I am officially okay with this unfortunate delay when considering that some of my neighbors are unable to plant at all due to persistent flooding. Remember Evelyn's gorgous garden last year? This year, she has a pond instead:


Then again, she and her husband, Powerful Pierre (who hosted the Chicken Slaughter Party last year), also have a tries-to-be-mean-but-really-isn't dog named Preacher and a gajillion kitties, which I deeply envy:

Preacher, guarding the pick-up.

Victoria, not guarding, just being.
Last year, I had Kirk's invaluable assistance in planting the garden all in one hellish and totally sweltering day - June 6, 2012. We still look at one another and shake our heads, "I can't believe we did that all in one day....." Brent, too, is still amazed at our herculean feat.

This year, it's just me tilling, digging and bending over - oooof! - to gently place seeds in their row or on their mound, whatever the little darlings require. Some plants, such as popcorn and squash, have conveniently huge seeds, while others, like lettuce and tomato, have ridiculously small seeds. When I am not marveling at the miracle of Nature ("Just think, all the information on becoming a successful head of lettuce is packed into this tiny seed!" What a miracle!"), I'm cursing the godforsaken wind for stealing said seeds right out of my palm and distributing them like..well, like the wind.

I mean, c'mon, that's just too damn small.
In between rainstorms and knowing full well that sweltering days inevitably lie ahead, I scampered up the ol' grain bin to grab shots before that metal becomes too hot to touch.

Gulp!
These shots are from last Sunday, after planting onions (Valencia), radish (Cherry Belle) and lettuce (Romaine) - I've got more in the ground since then.

Facing north, the western half of the garden.
Facing north, eastern edge - garlic and shallots between the straw.
Oh, and hey! Since I'm up here, I might as well, document current SCRANCH scenery in all directions:

Western view, including the Mae Flower.
Looking straight south.
East
"Don't look down!"
And for no other reason other than I am madly in love with her, here is The Tonka Truck:

Sigh.

No comments: