Sunday, June 24, 2012

The New Arrival

This is Brent, freaking out.
The other night, I found Brent like this - leaning up against his truck, staring off in to space. Rarely does one see him be still or silent, so I had to inquire:

"What's going on?" 
"Wellll, I finally bit the bullet and bought a new grain bin," he said, with a groan. 
"That's great! Right? Why don't you sound happy about it?" 
"Because I bought a used one and they are going to pay for shipping and, well, I'm not ready for it." 
"When will it be here?" 
"Tomorrow. I have no gravel down, no cement floor and I have no idea where to put it." 
"Ah." 

Once again, I was no help at all, so I did what I always do, took his picture. Good news is, he no longer notices.

Sure enough, the next day, I was about to head to Walhalla to return a DVD ("The Debt" - loved it!) and buy me a popsicle when I saw a "WIDE LOAD" come creeping down the highway. I headed back, grabbed the camera and well... I took more photos.


About this point, I realize that the new giant bin is headed straight for my garden and then I start freaking out. But what am I going to do, start screaming like a banshee? "My BABIES!!!" No. I just had to hold my breath and hope that Brent would have enough foresight to protect my wee farm.


Holy shit, this was close! The big ass truck is right on the eastern edge of the plot, up alongside my will-they-or-won't-they-grow watermelons. Just looking at this image makes my stomach lurch a bit.


I wondered how the hell the bin was going to get upright but I'm slowly starting to realize just how big a role hydraulics plays in farming. 

Ta-da!
The bin will stay there until Brent can prepare a proper spot for it, like a cement base or gravel floor. In the meantime, he worries, "I hope it doesn't blow away." I'd love to say he's kidding but the winds can be quite fierce and if it's empty....my watermelons won't know what hit 'em.

Meantime, the SCRANCH skyline now has a modern, updated look!



No comments: